Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports (PBIS) is a framework for assisting school personnel in adopting and organizing evidence-based behavioral interventions into a multi-tiered continuum that enhances academic and social behavior outcomes for all students.
PBIS is a proactive approach for creating positive, consistent, predictable, and safe environments that encourage strong interpersonal relationships. This approach includes a common language of:
- Clear behavior expectations defined and visibly posted
- Teaching specific behaviors/expectations systematically
- Acknowledging and reinforcing positive behaviors
- Correcting behavioral errors through proactive and restorative methods
- Using data to drive decision-making and respond to problem behavior
The broad purpose of PBIS is to improve the effectiveness, efficiency and equity of schools and other agencies. A systems approach of PBIS allows for successful social, emotional and academic outcomes for all students, including students with disabilities and students from underrepresented groups.